Thursday 3 January 2013

Rubber Duck cake.

Follow me on bloglovin' and hello cotton to find out when I post new recipes!
Here is a birthday cake I made a while ago for a friend. She originally posted a picture of it on Facebook and I agreed to make it for her, not realising that it would be as easy as it was. This was the first properly decorated cake I ever made and it started of my obsession. Please bear in mind that I was only 13 when I made this so it clearly isn't perfect!
This isn't the best picture in the world, but as you can see it's simply a sponge cake covered in blue fondant icing (I would've preferred a darker blue but that's all the shop had). This acted as the bath water. Then there are pieces of torn up marshmallow that acted as the bubbles and the centre piece were the two marzipan rubber ducks in the middle.
It was inspired by this cake from 'sweetangelbakery', I'm not sure if the rubber ducks are edible here though.
I bet you're dying to know how I made these adorable little rubber duckies myself? Here's how:
1. Soften the marzipan in your hands.
2. Using your finger, make a hole in the marzipan and put yellow/orange food colouring in. The amount depends on what type of food colouring you use, there's the little bottles of it that you can buy from the supermarket (you would need to use a lot) or the small tubs of more gel-like food colouring that is available from most craft stores and cakes shops as well as the internet. I personally recommend the gel-like food colouring for a more vibrant and variable colour and you only need to use a very small amount for the desired effect.
3. I would advise to wear some form of latex gloves for this step, you need to work the food colouring into the marzipan which can be very messy and will stain clothes and skin. Keep folding the marzipan over and over on itself until the colour is worked in properly. Here is a good visual demonstration of this if that made no sense to you.
4. This step is modelling the ducks. Split the marzipan into 5 sections, 2 for the bodies, 2 for the heads and just a little for the beak and eyes. I used a video to guide me but as it was a while ago when I made this, I can no longer find it. However, this video is very similar except she's using fondant instead of marzipan. This makes no difference to the shaping of it but do not use the water that she talks about to stick them together.

Et voilĂ ! You have your rubber duckies! I made one slightly bigger to act as a parent duck and a baby duck but this is totally optional. To attach them to the cake I simply used a cocktail stick. For the marshmallows, I simply cut them up into different sized pieces and stuck them down with icing. Play around with them until you get nice shapes.

Enjoy!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Template by Suck my Lolly