Monday 22 April 2013

Queen Cakes/Raisin Cupcakes.

Queen cakes are possibly the first homemade cakes I ever ate. My grandad's neighbour used to make some for every time he would collect me from school (which was at least once a week) so these played a significant part in my childhood. For years I completely forgot about them until recently when I saw them whilst browsing through a recipe book. I knew their unique shape looked familiar and then it clicked. I was surprised at how easy they were to make and how quickly they bake. They have a slightly crunchy outside with a soft and fluffy centre and the chewy raisins/currants bring the textures together very well. There is also a hint of lemon which complements the raisins/currants nicely.

Ingredients:

115g butter
115g caster sugar
2 eggs
6 tsps lemon juice
175g self-raising flour
115g raisins/currants
5 tbsps milk

Method:

1. Preheat the oven to 190ยบ.
2. Put the butter and sugar in a bowl and beat together until light and fluffy.
3. Beat in the eggs, one by one.
4. Beat in the lemon juice with 1 tablespoon of the flour.
5. Fold in the remaining flour using a metal spoon.
6. Stir in the raisins/currants. If you don't like either, you could always use chocolate chips!
7. Gradually mix in up to 5 tablespoons until the mixture is reluctant to fall of the spoon but will do so after a few seconds (this is called a soft dropping consistency).
8. Spoon the mixture into the cupcake cases and bake for 25 minutes or until well risen and golden brown.
9. Allow to cool before eating.
Enjoy!
Cakesfordorothy xoxo


Follow me on bloglovin' to find out when I post new recipes!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Template by Suck my Lolly