Tuesday 2 April 2013

Mini Egg Nest Cakes.

As you have probably guessed by now, I'm obsessed with making cakes that are themed. Birthdays, Christmas, Halloween, Valentine's Day and currently Easter! After receiving a packet of mini eggs in an Easter egg and decided to make some nest cakes. Usually, you'd use cornflakes or rice krispies to make nest cakes but we don't eat cereals (only porridge and wheetabix) so I decided to do something slightly different.

Method:

1. Make chocolate cupcakes.
2. Allow to cool and then smother in chocolate butter cream, leaving a little to stick the eggs on at the end.
3. Melt 200g of chocolate (that makes 10 nests).
4. As shown in the picture, draw circles around a mug onto a piece of paper (this is a guide to make sure your chocolate nests are about the right size). Put that onto a baking sheet or board and then sellotape a piece of greaseproof paper on top. 
5. Using a teaspoon, drizzle the melted chocolate on where the circles are drawn.
6. Refrigerate for around an hour.
7. When set, carefully remove the chocolate from the tray and place on top of the cupcakes. 
8. I cut the mini eggs in half because I knew I wouldn't have enough to put on top of all the cakes but if you have enough then leave them whole. Dip one side of the mini egg in leftover butter cream and stick onto the nests.
I found this video quite useful. However, she uses a piping bag to make her nests. I tried this and I found it to be really difficult, messy and it wasted a lot of the chocolate. You have much more control over them if you use a teaspoon! 
Enjoy!
Cakesfordorothy xoxo

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Template by Suck my Lolly