Saturday 24 November 2012

Cake pops.

Follow me on bloglovin' and hello cotton to find out when I post new recipes!
Upon request from a good friends of mine, today I will be sharing my recipe for cake pops. They're really fun to make and are a a great twist on your average slice of cake or cupcake. There are also several ways to make them but here is the one I tried. 

They taste better than they look, trust me!

Method:

1. Use the sponge cake recipe from last post to make the cake, in this instance I made a chocolate cake but that was just out of preference.

2. Once the cake has come out of the oven, leave it to cool completely for around 1-2 hours.


3. Next you need to make a frosting, it can be butter cream or frosting out of a pot from the supermarket, Betty Crocker for example. I used a chocolate butter cream recipe (100g butter, 100g icing sugar and 75g melted chocolate) but any combination of frosting and cake should work, again it is preferential.

4. Take the cooled cake and break it up into crumbs in a large mixing bowl, try to ensure there are no big pieces of cake left.

5. Add half of the frosting and using your hands mix the cake and frosting together until thoroughly combined. Then add the other half of frosting and combine.

6. Now take a lump of the mixture, size again is preferential and mould it into the desired shape, round balls are standard but I made them oval for my Halloween mummy cake pops.

7.  You can use lollipop sticks if you have them, but I didn't. Dip the stick into melted chocolate before you insert them into the cake pop to ensure they stay in.

8. One you have used up all of the mixture, put the cake pops in the fridge for 2 hours or until hard. Alternatively, you can put them in the freezer for 20 minutes or so. They must be solid.

9. To coat them, melt chocolate and spoon it over them or dip them in it. I found it difficult to dip them in without sticks though.

10. There are hundreds of ways to decorate your cake pops, I made them into little mummies for Halloween by melting white chocolate over, letting them set and then drizzling more white chocolate (with a drop of yellow food colouring in) over to create a bandage effect. I then used mini smarties as eyes.

If you have never tried cake pops, the texture is quite similar to chocolate truffles. Be careful not to make them too big, as I did, because they can be quite sickly and filling (especially if it's all chocolate!)

Enjoy!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Template by Suck my Lolly